5.30.2014

Muligatawany soup

I like this soup as it is hearty vegan soup with red lentils (masoor dal), carrot, apple and coconut milk. And it is easily made in the winter since I can get carrots and apples still. I took this base recipe and modified it to be vegan.   I like it so much I'm on my second making of it in the span of 2 weeks!

METHOD

Dice:
1 yellow or white onion
2-3 carrots
1 large apple (or 2 smaller apples)
grate 1 TB ginger
grate or mince 3 cloves garlic

Saute the onion and carrot with olive oil until softening.  Add ginger, garlic and the following spices, stir and cook 60 seconds until fragrant:
1 TB garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch cardamom
pinch black pepper

Now add pureed tomatoes (I use my home canned tomatoes, or you can use tomato puree, or tomato paste + water), stir, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan.

Add 1/2 C red lentils (masoor dal) and stir. If you need more water to cook the lentils, add it. Cover and cook at a simmer until done, 20-30 minutes.

Blend some of the soup and return to the pan.

Add coconut milk and heat through (but not boiling). Season with salt.

Serve with basmati rice.

No comments: