2.09.2014

Vegan Seitan Sausage

I had a hankering for sausage- something with lots of seasonings, especially paprika and fennel seeds.  I have a tub of vital wheat gluten and figured I could try making vegan sausage seitan-- and it would be practically free!  Mostly, I followed the recipe at PPK.

This was delicious when cut into pieces, and fried up in olive oil, and the hot pieces put over a green salad with boiled potato. 

METHOD
Start a large pan of water on the stove and heating up for steaming.

Combine in a bowl:
1/2 C cooked chickpeas, mashed
1 C water
1-2 TB tomato paste
2 TB reduced sodium soy sauce (but then I thought thye maybe needed more salt??)
1.25 C vital wheat gluten
0.25 C nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1.5 tsp crushed fennel seeds
0.5 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
black pepper

Now divide the dough into four chunks. Roll each into a sausage/tootsie roll shape in 4 sheets of aluminum foil. 

Place foil wrapped logs in a steamer basket. Steam for 40 minutes (medium or low heat).

Unwrap, then enjoy immediately or refrigerate.  I prefer my seitan sausage to be cooked again or at least heated through for serving- and I think it needs a little more grease/oil, so I like to pan fry it with olive oil.  I've seen others bbq these like a hot dog.

No comments: