2.23.2014

Dehydrated cauliflower popcorn (raw, vegan)

Holy crap this is addictively good.  I would have never thought I alone could eat a whole head of cauliflower. Dehydrating it makes it much softer, smaller, and removes water content so it is much easier to eat a lot of veggies when dehydrated-- totally reminds me of the dehydrator sauteed zucchini I loved this summer.

The nooch is the right color and taste to replicate butter/cheese (espeiclaly in combination with salt and onion powder) and it gets a little crispy at the edges from the dehydrator. It is very convincing as popcorn/snack food. I bet you could get kids to love this stuff.

I think I may make this for the next potluck/party-- in that case I may need to double or triple the recipe!

METHOD

The idea is really quite simple: cut up a head of cauliflower into small bite sized pieces.

In a bowl, combine the dry stuff:
2 TB nutritional yeast


2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
scant 1/2 tsp himalayan or sea salt

Toss the cauliflower florets into the bowl. Add 1 TB good olive oil. Toss it all together with a spoon.  This helps the oil stick the dry goodies onto the florets.

Grab 2 dehydrator trays (I use excalibur) and put the teflex sheets on top of the mesh screens.

Spread out the cauliflower mixture over the two trays.  Dehydrate at 115 F for 4-8 hours, until it reaches your desired level of crunchiness. Consume warm straight from dehydrator for best effect.

No comments: