1.11.2014

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

This looks more like tarte tatin than the traditional upside down cake, as it is a very thin shallow cake part, but I like it that way, so the cranberry topping really shines.  I saw it in a cookbook but with a ton of extra sugar and butter so this is a little bit healthier version-- and we didn't miss a thing (in fact any more sugar would be too sweet for my taste).

This was beautiful and I could imagine it at a breakfast table, or holiday dessert.  But for more than a couple people you might need to make several pans of it as you'd want to serve a couple slices each person.

My husband is slightly sensitive to gluten (but he may be really sensitive to nuts and nightshades- we're testing that theory), so I'm trying out "less gluten" versions of things. So instead of going gluten free (which often means almond flour, potato starch), I'm reducing the wheat flour and adding in brown rice flour.  In this recipe, the texture was great as the cake part has a little more spring and chew, so it was a hit.  In fact this goes on his favorites list.

I love having cranberries in the freezer, so I buy them up when they go on sale (usually after Thanksgiving) and stick them in the freezer. They freeze beautifully just in the package they came in.


METHOD
Preheat cast iron pan in 350F oven.

Meanwhile, mix togehter:
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C brown rice flour (or your flour of choice, just not coconut as it's too absorbent)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/8 C organic white sugar
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce (I use the applesauce I canned a few months ago)
2 eggs, beaten
1 - 2 TB rice milk (or use regular milk or water)

Once the pan is hot, add 1/4 C butter and melt.  Add 1/4 C brown sugar and stir to make a slurry.  Sprinkle a little fine sea salt over the top (unless you used very salty butter). Now add 1 C cranberries.

Spread the batter over the top of the cranberry butter mixture in the pan. It will be quite thin, this is ok, just do the best you can.

Put it back in the oven and bake 30 minutes at 350 F or until golden on top and bubbling at the edges.

Carefully invert over a cutting board or large plate.  I suggest you get a buddy and with both of you wearing oven mits.

No comments: