9.25.2013

Kettle corn

Bought some kettle corn at the farmers market- what a treat! Now I'm trying to recreate it at home. I was inspired by this recipe, then tried this recipe but it had too much popcorn and not quite enough salt/sugar. 

I've made it twice now, below is what works for my size cast iron pan (too much popcorn kernels means they don't have enough space to pop and get coated with the syrup). My pan is a old camp cast iron stove, probably 6 quarts? So make adjustments for the pan size you are using. 

I've been thinking this would be great party snack: it goes together quickly, makes a large volume of food, doesn't need to be kept hot nor cold, is made from stuff I generally have around and is pretty cheap.


METHOD

Heat lidded cast iron pan over medium high until warm.  Melt/stir:
1/4 C butter or oil (I'd bet coconut oil should work? haven't tried it yet)

1/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp (or more) fine sea salt
 
Let it foam for 30-60 seconds to start caramelizing the sugar. 

Now add and stir:  1/4 to 1/3 C popcorn kernels

Cover with lid. In a minute or 2 the kernels should start popping. Shake the pan, keeping it covered with lid. Be really careful- opening that lid for just a moment for a peep shot my face with a hot kernel! so don't lift that lid, seriously.

When popping slows down (don't wait too long or it will burn, i.e. less than 4 minutes total) then take off heat. Remove lid carefully with oven mits and stir.

Pour into large bowl and enjoy!

No comments: