5.19.2013

Roasted Rhubarb

So I'm a big fan of rhubarb after discovering it last summer. I've made countless crisps/crumbles with it.

But now I'm realizing why should my enjoyment of it be limited to times when I feel like making a crisp? Why can't rhubarb be part of breakfast or salad?  Roasted rhubarb is the answer.

Very quick to prepare and the resulting chunks are just slightly sweet, still have some texture to them, and are beautiful as they retain their color better than stewed rhubarb.

I'd like to put these on a salad (much like you'd do with oranges which are also tart-sweet).   I've enjoyed roasted rhubarb pieces over my morning granola or greek yogurt too! And of course for rhubarb lovers, you can eat it as is in a bowl.

Method:
Clean, dry and cut up  14-16 oz rhubarb into 1" chunks.
Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
Sprinkle 1/8 cup of sugar over the rhubarb. 
Bake for 12-15 minutes at 375 F oven, until soft but not too squishy.

Enjoy hot or let cool. Store in the fridge. Here's what it looks like in a mason jar ready for the fridge. You'll notice it started to seep out a little liquid- perfect for topping oatmeal:

Freezing Rhubarb: I've recently read you can freeze raw rhubarb! Sounds like you clean it, dry it, cut into chunks then freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen (4 hours?) then transfer to a freezer ziplock back for freezer storage.  Definitely trying this soon!

No comments: