10.29.2012

Pressure Cooker Fast Potato Broccoli Soup

My method for making this soup has evolved. And now I'm using a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker (which I love!) Not that I was timing (although now I wish I had) I think this took under 25 minutes to prep.  This soup is great because it uses up broccoli stalks. And I often have potatoes, onion and garlic on hand. Since it doesn't require stock, I don't have to defrost anything ahead of time either.


Method:
Pressure cook for 4 minutes using steamer or trivet insert, then let cool off heat until pressure releases:
rough-chopped broccoli stalks
3 yukon gold potatoes, diced into 3/4" cubes
3/4 C water

Meanwhile, steam broccoli florets until tender.

In the now-empty broccoli-steaming pan, saute 1 diced onion and 2 minced cloves garlic in olive oil with a pinch of salt until softens.  Add the cooked broccoli stems and some of the cooked potatoes from the pressure cooker pot, along with the cooking liquid.

Pour all of that into blender with 1/4 C nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.

Once smooth, return to saucepan and add:
water (as needed for preferred texture)

steamed broccoli florets (roughly chopped)
salt
black pepper
optional dried celery leaves or celery salt

Bring soup up to desired temperature and serve with more cracked black pepper. 


No comments: