8.29.2012

Lori's Banana Cake (whole wheat)


This reminds me of the banana cake at New Seasons bakery that I adore. I bet if you topped it with whipped cream/sour cream frosting it would be fantastic and just like the ones in the dessert case.  I like it as a snack cake, just plain.  This is best with ripe (or overripe) bananas. Lori found the recipe but I just had to post it again-- it's that good.

Soften:
85 g butter (less than 1 stick)

20 g coconut oil

Beat oils with 200 g sugar (white or coconut palm sugar) until fluffy. Add 1 egg and continue beating.

Add and stir:
110 g buttermilk (less than 2/3 C )
1 tea vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, chopped (approx 225 g)

Finally add and stir until combined:
225 g whole wheat flour
3 g baking powder (approx 1 tea)
3 g baking soda (approx 1 tea)
2 g salt (approx 1/2 tea +)

Pour into 10"x10" (or larger) pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes at 325 F.

Freezes beautifully.

2 comments:

Lori said...

The recipe originally came from from the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook, so good!

Lori said...

Just realized I posted my original version too: http://lorisancooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/banana-cake.html