8.09.2012

Indian Mustard Seed Cabbage

I tend to get a heap of cabbage left over in the veggie drawer. I think it's because I don't have recipes that use solely cabbage (besides cole slaw of course).  Most of the times I use cabbage it plays a supporting role, like in egg fried rice or stir fries.  I'd seen Indian recipes for a cabbage dish with spices and decided to try it out. While it isn't quite on the favorites list yet, it's still pretty yummie. And it comes together quickly, so it will be showing up as a side to indian meals!

I pretty much followed this recipe.

Here's the gist:

Heat a pan to medium hot. Add olive oil and 1 TB brown mustard seeds until they start popping.

Add 1/2 tea cumin seeds, 1/2 tea ground cumin, 1/2 tea ground turmeric, and optional red chiles or cayenne pepper.  Stir to coat spices in oil.

Add 2-3 C chopped green cabbage and 1/4 - 1/2 tea salt, stir to coat. Let cook for 5 minutes or until it reaches desired wilty-ness or crunchiness.

No comments: