3.18.2012

Honey Lime Beets


I'm trying to make myself like beets. This was actually edible (for beets!)-- will go in the rotation for learning to like beets! I used "honey beets" which are the yellow/orange variety (instead of the usual red). Adapted from this exciting tome on french cooking.

Serving suggestion: I liked it best served over green salad with a squirt of lime and salt over the lettuce leaves, then topped with fresh mung bean sprouts. (see top photo)

Takes a bit of advance prep to cook 2 small beets. I boiled them in water (probably 30 minutes since I boiled them whole- if you cut them first they probably would've cooked faster).

Then you peel and cut them into bite-size chunks.

Toss with vinaigrette:
1 tea apple cider vinegar
grated zest and juice from 1/4 lime
1.5 tea olive oil

Chill with the vinaigrette for 2 hours or overnight.

No comments: