6.05.2010

Banana Cake (with cream cheese frosting)

This is a really delicious way to use up old bananas-- and it is better than banana bread, I promise!
Once bananas start to go bad, I just toss them in the freezer. When you are ready to make banana bread, muffins, or this cake, you can just thaw them for 20-30 seconds in the microwave and then gently peel to remove the banana flesh.

I like this recipe because it uses buttermilk, and has a cream cheese frosting. Editorial note: cream cheese frosting is the only way to go, especially with bananas!
My friend from Lorisan Cooks and I used this recipe, and baked for 35+ minutes in two 8" circular pans.

Cutting each layer into two thinner slices yielded a 4 layer cake. Like my mother, I use the "wax paper method" for keeping a clean cake pan- see this photo for details:
The frosting in the recipe made quite enough to frost all 3 layers and the top and sides. We added vanilla beans to the frosting, which was nice but not necessary.

No comments: