10.05.2008

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies


So I got this recipe out of a pretentious cookbook and I will say I was pretty skeptical of the detail in the recipes. But the cookies are good, so perhaps I will try the other recipes in the book. Thanks to my friend at LorisanCooks for leading the baking crusade today!

The next time I make this, I will use less chocolate chips (the original recipe had over 2 C of chocolate chips!), crank up the coconut to maybe 1 C and add a tea of coconut extract. I might even toast the coconut first.

Food-process 1/3 C whole oats into "fine bits"(their words, not mine!!), set aside.

Melt 5 TB butter and cool in the fridge for later.

Whisk together in medium bowl:
2 C + 3 TB flour
1/2 tea baking soda
3/4 tea salt


Cream together in mixer:
1 stick softened butter (separate from the melted butter above)- I just microwave the stick, paper and all for a few seconds at a time in the microwave until it gets squishy in the middle

Then add:
1.25 C brown sugar
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 TB vanilla extract
cooled melted butter from above


Blend in 2 eggs.

By hand, fold in:
processed oats from above
whisked flour mixture

Then add:
2/3 C coconut flakes
1 C chocolate chips

(see note about decreasing chocolate chip to 3/4 C and increasing coconut flakes to 1 C)

Drop large spoonfulls onto baking sheet, cook for 13-18 minutes at 350 F. They should look not-quite-done when you pull them out, and they will finish cooking on the pan outside the oven.

No comments: